Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini


The exhilaratingly seductive new series from the author of the bestselling Starcrossed series

Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian . . . Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences.

Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected.

But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy?
AMAZON LINKhttp://amzn.to/1mACE42

MY THOUGHTS:
3/5 STARS



I'm quite confused when it comes to rating this one...
On one hand I found myself intrigued by the fantasy world and swooning over the book boyfriends, but on another I have a severe headache from all of the science talk. When I dive into a book I want to be transported from reality and consumed by fantasy. This one transported me, but instead of a magical world, I entered a confusing jumble of mish mash. There were monsters, witches, outlanders, and lots of science talk. I am not opposed to gaining knowledge while reading, but page after page of science descriptions is just not for me. I really wanted to learn more about the different characters, but sadly the story just grazed the surface. There was action, but it wasn't enough to make me want to keep turning the pages. I found myself pushing to get to the end and well even that was just meh. 

I think Rowan and Tristan saved this book for me... I really enjoyed the love triangle, intensity, and humor that the romance brought. I was hoping for more of it, but the story was definitely focused on science. Science, science, science.... Just too much! 

I don't recommend this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment