Friday, April 22, 2016

'Til Death Do Us Part by Amanda Quick


The author of the New York Times bestseller Garden of Liesreturns to Victorian London in an all-new novel of deadly obsession. 

Calista Langley operates an exclusive “introduction” agency in Victorian London, catering to respectable ladies and gentlemen who find themselves alone in the world. But now, a dangerously obsessed individual has begun sending her trinkets and gifts suitable only for those in deepest mourning—a black mirror, a funeral wreath, a ring set with black jet stone. Each is engraved with her initials.

Desperate for help and fearing that the police will be of no assistance, Calista turns to Trent Hastings, a reclusive author of popular crime novels. Believing that Calista may be taking advantage of his lonely sister, who has become one of her clients, Trent doesn’t trust her. Scarred by his past, he’s learned to keep his emotions at bay, even as an instant attraction threatens his resolve.

But as Trent and Calista comb through files of rejected clients in hopes of identifying her tormentor, it becomes clear that the danger may be coming from Calista’s own secret past—and that only her death will satisfy the stalker... 






MY REVIEW

4/5 STARS


This was my first read by Amanda Quick and I was pleasantly surprised. It was rich in historical feels, had an intriguing plot line, and told the story of two unique characters. There was danger, romance, and plenty of mystery. I would call it a romantic Sherlock Holmes of the sorts.

Trent and Calista are entangled in a dangerous web of murders and have to go digging in order to save one another. They search for clues that will point them to the killer, but with each step closer, another murder arises that pulls them in a new direction. I was on the edge of my seat racking brain trying to figure out who it was... Unfortunately, I failed.

What intrigued me most about this book was Trent and his past. I loved that he was scarred and I couldn't wait to hear his story. After I got his answers though my interest in the story faded a smidge. I still enjoyed the plot, but at times it did feel drug out. We get lots of filler information... which isn't a bad thing because we need it, but it did bring the pace down a bit. I think secretly I wanted Trent to be connected to the murder. Now that would have been quite the twister... Plus, it would have put the focus on Trent where I felt it deserved to be. Don't get me wrong I liked Calista, I just found her to be a bit boring. It could have been the time period that made her more reserved and underwhelming, but something about her just didn't work for me.

Overall, I enjoyed this story and would recommend it to other readers. It was quick to pull me into another time period and Trent held me attention through the final page.. I think historical/thriller romance fans will definitely enjoy it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment