Monday, May 9, 2016

The Rose & The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh


The much anticipated sequel to the breathtaking The Wrath and the Dawn, lauded by Publishers Weekly as "a potent page-turner of intrigue and romance."


I am surrounded on all sides by a desert. A guest, in a prison of sand and sun. My family is here. And I do not know whom I can trust.



In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad has been torn from the love of her husband Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once believed him a monster, but his secrets revealed a man tormented by guilt and a powerful curse—one that might keep them apart forever. Reunited with her family, who have taken refuge with enemies of Khalid, and Tariq, her childhood sweetheart, she should be happy. But Tariq now commands forces set on destroying Khalid's empire. Shahrzad is almost a prisoner caught between loyalties to people she loves. But she refuses to be a pawn and devises a plan.



While her father, Jahandar, continues to play with magical forces he doesn't yet understand, Shahrzad tries to uncover powers that may lie dormant within her. With the help of a tattered old carpet and a tempestuous but sage young man, Shahrzad will attempt to break the curse and reunite with her one true love.



AMAZON LINK: http://amzn.to/1rLd9is


MY THOUGHTS:
5/5 STARS


Oh Heck Yes! It's not often I find a sequel that lives up to book one, but this one exceeded all wants, needs, & must haves. I couldn't put it down. I was instantly pulled into Shazi's world from page one and didn't want to let go after the final page. It's safe to say that this one goes on my top reads of 2016 list! If you love mystery, magic, beautiful romance, and royalty in your reads then you MUST pick this one up. 


The Rose and the Dagger started with Khalid and Shazi apart. He was trying to mend his kingdom and she was trying to survive being trapped with strangers she didn't trust. Both missed one another, but knew they had to do their part in order for them to reunite. Shazi began to explore her magic carpet more and realized that she must follow her heart in order to get her happily ever after. With the help of a friend she is able to grasp her magic from within and find a solution to Khalid's curse. It is then that he gets pulled into her magical world and together they seek to destroy a book that controls everything. There is war, lies, and tragedy, but what love story doesn't have turmoil before beauty? It was all consuming, frustrating at times, and just flat out amazing.



As I sit here thinking about it I am baffled by the intricate plot turns and flawless writing style. To find a book that captures the reader is one thing, but this book held my attention through every word on every page. There was a magic feeling that seeped from the pages and it was quite contagious. I wanted to wrap my arms around the book and never let go. My heart was consumed with love for each character and my mind was entranced by the pivotal moments of the story. I was eager to figure out what happened, but also a tad timid when approaching the final page. I didn't want it to end and even after the final word I still craved more. It was a beautiful story with so many high points. I applaud the Author and guarantee that this series will get the attention it deserves. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend that you do. It will make you love reading and it will pull you out of any book rut you are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment