Saturday, February 4, 2017

Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss #1) by Breeana Shields



A teenage assassin kills with a single kiss until she is ordered to kill the one boy she loves. This commercial YA fantasy is romantic and addictive like-- a poison kiss-- and will thrill fans of Sarah J. Maas and Victoria Aveyard.
Marinda has kissed dozens of boys. They all die afterward. It's a miserable life, but being a visha kanya, a poison maiden, is what she was created to do. Marinda serves the Raja by dispatching his enemies with only her lips as a weapon.

Until now, the men she was ordered to kiss have been strangers, enemies of the kingdom. Then she receives orders to kiss Deven, a boy she knows too well to be convinced he needs to die. She begins to question who she s really working for. And that is a thread that, once pulled, will unravel more than she can afford to lose.

This rich, surprising, and accessible debut is based in Indian folklore and delivers a story that will keep readers on the edge of their seats.
AMAZON: http://amzn.to/2jMAcKo

MY THOUGHTS:
4/5 STARS
As far as folklore and fantasy go... This one was top of the line. I found myself instantly sucked into the story and held captive by the twisty plot. The Author's words danced in my mind and the intricate story weaved it's way into my soul.

When Marinda was a child, she was fed on and poisoned by snakes to become immune. Her kisses were made to kill... Growing up she always believed her missions were for the greater good, but when she is given a mission she can't complete, she is forced to pump the brakes and look into her life. Horrific secrets are slowly revealed and when she tries to flee, her brother is taken by the snake king. Together her and the love interest, Deven, embark on a trip to visit the Raja in hopes of help. Help isn't exactly what they find though... Marinda ends up behind bars with a young boy as her only companion. She is determined to save her brother though and in the end, makes a great sacrifice to do so.

Poison's kiss was well written, fast paced, and for the most part, a very likable book. The anticipation kept me on the edge of my seat and the unique plot kept me turning the pages. I did however have a couple of minor issues... One, I needed more romance or at least a better build up to make the romance passionate and believable. Two, I felt the twists were a tad predictable. I knew in Chapter 2 what the next mission would be and I was slight bummed... However, the negative feels were slowly swept under the flawless book world.
The scenic execution was spot on. The pages truly painted vivid pictures in my mind. If I had to guess, I'd say this Author will slowly rise to the top of the fiction world. I look forward to seeing what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment